Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Feelin' Lucky, Punk?

[SOURCE]

St. Paddy's Day showed up once again, which means we got drunk. Haha. No, not really. Really, it was a pretty low-key, but very green, day. Natch.

First up, some green with breakfast...

BREAKFAST!

Pecan Praline Granola plus 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed...just need to add skim milk

Kiwi...mmm mmm, green
Did you know that kiwi has more vitamin C than an orange and as much potassium as a banana? True story.

Then, a mid-morning snack...

Green tea, green apples, and...cheese. The cheese stands alone.

Are you loving all this green???


Then, I worked out for a little while, but not before I changed into my super-sweet workout wear...

SMOOCH!

Of course, after my sweat-fest, I had to cook up some lunch...
Mixing up a Spinach Omelet
(1 egg yolk, 2 egg whites, 1 cup baby spinach, 1 1/2 Tbsp Parmesan, dash of nutmeg, smidge of freshly ground pepper)


I raided the fridge for some tasty fillings and decided on leftover grilled zucchini and some fresh salsa to complete my omelette de résistance. (That's French for badass omelet.)

DELISH!!
(Did you notice the nice green lime on the water glass?? Excellent touch on St. Green Day, no?)

Looks like it's smiling at me. It knows it looks good!☺

Since my creative foodiness was in overdrive today, I thought I should take advantage by saving some poor package of fresh basil in the fridge that was looking like it might not stay fresh much longer. (Throwing out herbs and veggies in this house is sacrilege, especially since most of them are so versatile, so I try use them up quickly if they start to look a little sad.) I decided a nice pesto on the fly would do the trick.

I threw the sad lil basil bunch in the food processor, along with Parmesan cheese, almonds (since I was out of pine nuts), and a pinch of red pepper flakes.


While the processor was on, I poured some EVOO through the top and continued to process until the mixture got nice and smooth.

Presto...PESTO!!

It was GORGEOUS this afternoon, so we walked over to the co-op to pick up a few necessities...


Bananas, Sour Cream, Red Leaf Lettuce, Green Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper, Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix, Blueberries, Broccoli, Tomatoes, and Yellow Popcorn. A BEAUTIFUL BOUNTY!

Also, the co-op gave me a few free mags...score!



The kids sprawled out after dinner in their festive tees paired with some Star Wars pj pants. Nice!

Awww!!

But it didn't take long for the silliness to take over...




Too cute!!

A very good day for all of us...even without the big drinkfest (which I suppose will save us from having green complexions the next morning, huh?).

Oh, one more thing...while searching the net for just the right St. Paddy's pic to use on the blog, I came across many pictures of dogs dressed as leprechauns. Have I been living under a shamrock? When did this become such a popular St. P tradition?

This picture was particularly frightening...

[SOURCE]
Oh, the humiliation!!

However, we couldn't decide if the poor pup looked more like a leprechaun or Buddy the Elf. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Buddy the Elf - great St. Patty's Day, doll ;)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, peeps...