Friday, September 30, 2011

If You Like Bean Enchiladas and Getting Caught in the Rain

[SOURCE]
What lovely weather we are having lately! I think I need to invest in a canoe or tugboat or something soon. Sheesh!

But, rainy days aren't always so bad. One thing that always screams out at me on rainy days is comfort food, so I decided to whip up a batch of black bean enchiladas. Mmmmm.

Now this is a staple dish in our house, but I don't have a recipe, necessarily. However, I will do my best to provide approximations on the ingredients...

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (remove seeds if you want milder enchiladas)
2-3 sprigs of cilantro, finely chopped
*--- (I typically throw all 3 of the above ingredients into a mini chopper and let that do all the work.) ---*
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Corn kernels from 2 ears of cooked corn (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1-2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bottle enchilada sauce (I use Trader Joe's brand -- see below)
10-12 corn tortillas

[SOURCE]

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce.

Mix onion, jalapeño, cilantro, black beans, corn, 1/2 cup cheese, chili powder, cumin, and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in large bowl.


Put a few tablespoons of mixture in a tortilla.


Roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and tortillas.


Top the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.


Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until cheese is melted.



Serve up with your favorite toppings, such as fresh salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.


A tasty meal certain to spice up an otherwise dreary day! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. When I saw "chicken-style base" listed in the ingredients, I freaked out a little thinking that I might have been eating something chicken related. Thankfully, Trader Joe's confirmed that this is not the case!

    -- "Thank you for your feedback and inquiry. Our Enchilada Sauce, sku#
    28965, is a Vegan sauce. The 'chicken-style' base that is used is just
    spice blend that would be commonly used on chicken, but does not contain
    any chicken itself. We hope this is helpful." --

    (Found online.)

    Relief!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I'll be trying them. Oh, and this title cracks me up! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, peeps...