Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quite the Character

[SOURCE]

My boys really love books. They have practically every book in their rooms memorized and, of course, our weekly trips to the libraries are always a big hit. They are constantly asking for more, more, more books. (Gee, I wonder where they get that?)

Well, the annual Book Fair is currently going at Aidan's school this week. In celebration, the school had Dress Up as Your Favorite Book Character Day yesterday. Aidan was pumped! He knew just what he wanted to be...Harry Potter (his latest obsession). I wanted him to have a great costume, but I only had 2 days notice and zero free time to shop, so I got pretty creative.

First, I raided his closet and found a simple pair of dress khakis, a button-up dress shirt, a wool v-neck sweater, and a tie. Then, Jon and I found an old, black graduation robe and a costume cigarette holder for the wand. Glasses were a bit of a problem, but we came up with the solution of popping out the lens on a pair of cheap kids sunglasses we had lying around. All that was left was for me to draw the lightning bolt scar on his forehead with some lip liner and, voilĂ , the transformation from Aidan to Harry was complete...or so I thought.

Aidan, ever the purist, was going on and on about how that wasn't the real color of Harry's tie, and how Harry's glasses were supposed to be round, and all the other little inaccuracies of my costume creation. Oh well. I told him that he was just going to have to use his wonderful imagination, that I love so much...and he did.

He was walking around on cloud 9 all day, pretending to conjure spells and even using a bit of a British accent. Hilarious! The other kids and the teachers loved it!

The biggest struggle was in the evening when he didn't want to wash off his scar. I promised that if he was good for the remainder of the week, I would draw it back on him to wear all this weekend. (How do I get talked into these things?

Presenting...AIDAN POTTER!





And, of course, we stopped by the Book Fair briefly. The kids each picked out a book...

Aidan got the Lego sticker book. Dylan got the Chuggington book.

We may end up swinging by the Book Fair again tonight for family night. I'm sure we won't get any complaints from our little bookworms. Gotta feed our literary addictions...hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, peeps...