Friday, July 8, 2011

Ex Libris

[SOURCE]

Somehow, my books manage to duplicate when no one is looking each month. Not exactly sure how that happens, but I have a feeling that it has something to do with killer deals at used bookshops and library sales.

What's a crazed bibliophile with a fist full of cash supposed to do?

All those glorious works of lit, sitting there looking sad, wanting someone to adopt them. (Gawd! Keep me away from pounds and orphanages!!) Well, of course, I HAVE to give them a good home, right? You know it!

Here are a few new babies that I've picked up recently...(Come to Mama!)

Used Book Sale at Better World Books

Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby

Better World Books Total - 2 Books for $7.65


The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery
Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
The Gathering - Anne Enright
Await Your Reply - Dan Chaon
Herzog - Saul Bellow
Shirley - Charlotte Brontë
Villette - Charlotte Brontë
Adam Bede - George Eliot

Plus, assorted children's books including:

The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, No 2) - Mary Pope Osborne
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll
Freckle Juice - Judy Blume
and many more...

Bexley Library Total - 31 Books for $13.50

I really need to be careful or I'm going to end up becoming the little old lady who lived in her books. Can you just imagine? It would be like a Book Lover's Edition of Hoarders. Yikes!

[SOURCE]

However, I'm sure that I can delay that for a few extra years by building my book lover's dream house. I shall call it Chateau Anthenaeum and I will live in bliss for the rest of my days. Ahhhh....


[SOURCE]

The only problem is that I would probably fill those shelves in about a month, so I would definitely need room to expand. I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to move into the public library...

3 comments:

  1. I've stopped saying that I'm going to stop buying. It's pointless and makes me look weak. There's nothing like a "your order has shipped" email in the inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked up some good titles! I really loved The Elegance of the Hedgehog, and I've been interested in reading Await Your Reply. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHRISTINE -- I know what you mean. Any time I say that I'm going to stop buying books, people should check for crossed fingers behind my back. It just isn't gonna happen.

    Besides, you are sooo right, new books coming in the mail is like Christmas morning! I always get butterflies.

    BRENNA -- I'll definitely bump THE ELEGANCE OF THE HEDGEHOG up on my to-read list for the fall.

    I don't really know much about AWAIT YOUR REPLY, but everywhere I look I see people reading Dan Chaon, so I figured I need to check him out. I'll be sure to let you know.

    The only book that I'm kinda iffy about is THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY. The description seems a little Hallmark movie-ish for my taste. But, I only paid 50 cents for it, so I guess I can give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, peeps...